THE BEST FRY BREAD STARTS WITH JERI J’S AUTHENTIC INDIAN FRY BREAD MIX
1 Package of Jeri J’s Indian Fry Bread Mix
3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons room temperature water
8″ iron skillet or stove top fry pan
1 cup vegetable oil (enough to cover bottom of fry pan about 1/4″ deep)
- Set aside 1/4 cup of Jeri J’s Indian Fry Bread mix in a small bowl; empty the rest of the mix in a large round mixing bowl.
- Gradually add the water, enough to make dough stick together. If dough is too sticky, add a little fry bread mix from extra set aside.
- Knead about 2 minutes until it is well mixed and pliable. Dough will not be smooth. Cover dough with a damp dishcloth and let set for 10 minutes at room temperature. Dough will rise.
- Uncover dough; dust hands with flour and pinch off enough to make a ball about the size of a golf ball (approx. 3 oz.). Roll the dough ball in flour and set aside. Cover with damp dishcloth. Let set another 10 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat about a cup of vegetable oil to approximately 350 degrees.
- Roll out dough on floured cutting board or other clean surface, making a small disc (approx. 7″ diameter) and carefully place the flattened dough into the hot oil. Cook each side about 10 seconds or until light golden brown. Remove from pan and drain on paper towel.
- Add desired toppings and serve immediately.
The way Indian Fry Bread is served and what it is called vary from the different areas, and from tribe to tribe. It has become very popular and is served at home, gatherings, and pow-wows. The most popular ways of serving Indian Fry Bread are with honey and powdered sugar, beans and cheese, and the popular and delicious Indian Taco with beans, lettuce, tomato, onion, and cheese. Indian Fry Bread is so versatile and the possibilities are limited only by your imagination. Experiment and have fun with your favorite toppings. Below are some ideas from Jeri J and her fans.
- Traditional Indian Taco with beans, lettuce, tomato, onion, and cheese
- Beans and cheese
- Grilled or sautéed vegetables
- Shredded beef, chicken, or pork
- Italian tomato or spicy chipotle sauce topped with vegetables, and cheese
- Chicken salad
- Chile and cheese
- Honey and powdered sugar
- Cinnamon and sugar
- Fried bananas drizzled with caramel sauce
- Grilled pineapple and toasted coconut drizzled with powdered sugar icing
- Sliced strawberries drizzled with chocolate sauce
- Sliced peaches topped with whipped cream
- Apple pie filling topped with ice cream